This unwanted interaction can result in invalid files, files with lost file fragments, and cross linked files. You don't always know right away when this happens. This is why you should run the Scandisk utility from time to time.
For Windows XP and 2000:
In XP and 2000, the utility is called 'Error Checking' and doesn't offer the full physical surface check.
- From 'Start' double click 'My Computer'.
- Right-click the drive you want.
- Click on 'Properties', then 'Tools'.
- Under 'Error Checking' click 'Check now' and then Start.
- A small scandisk window appears and the process begins.